Why StHeals Quit 'Ragnarok M: Eternal Love' - A Whiny Essay





Hey guys!

It's been a while. A very long while... 😅

If you haven't heard, yes, I've been gone from the Ragnarok M: Eternal Love gaming scene since May 2019, I think, right about the time when I got hired as a full-time editor for a video-editing company. I did try to continue playing as if I still had all the time in the world and the machine to do it.

But first, my iPhone 5s could not run the game anymore. An update from December 2018 was just too big and my phone could not handle it. Since January 2019, I've been playing mostly on my PC, using Android emulators to run the game for most of the day. And that worked, for a while, but we all know how system demanding video-editing can be and at some point, it could not work anymore. The game was affecting my job.

Second, no access to a phone meant no access to buying monthly cards directly. I did not want to spend more than I needed for the monthly perks. I know, I know, this isn't really cause to quit the game, some of you guys might even say, "Well I play the game for free!" And sure, you do you. There are just certain perks from the monthly subscription that I could not live without knowing that I've depended on them since the game's launch. I actually don't even remember what these perks were but I do remember not wanting to grind long. And yes, I could've bought from the markets in-game, but I didn't have the funds. To get the funds, I needed to be overly competitive and be super-duper active and I just didn't have the same excitement I got when I started playing to make me want to go insane on those zenies.

Third, the game's bugs. I overlooked these before just because I enjoyed the game more than paying  attention to the game's shortcomings. But there came a time when the bugs became too much for me. The ginormous update being one of the most annoying ones. How hard is it to make sure updates work for everyone? Maybe a lot of work... but it forces to people to either live with it and look for alternatives, ie. PC, or buy a new phone. I mean... I'm not as rich as that guy who spends billions on in-game cash to get limited costumes.

Fourth, those obvious pay-to-win items. We can only lie to ourselves for so long, thinking that I'm good, I can play the game without investing cash but seriously. Those paid items just add so much stats which you can get by just one click of $$$. Sure, you can grind and catch up, but I think time is much more valuable than money, at least for me.

Lastly, WOE. This was the tip of the iceberg. It all boils down to this, when everyone's competing to be at the very top. It's not enough that you have to grind for n amount of hours each day, you have to do ET runs, you have to hunt MVPs and you have to participate in all the other dailies and weeklies to make sure you're caught up because missing just one of these means you'll be a step behind and if you're up against someone who spends all their time in-game and spends an absurd amount of cash on their stats, well then, just a step behind is alot.

Sure, again, free-to-play players can catch up, they can be smarter and level the playing field with just sheer skill and communication with teammates. But, and there's always a but, who has the time. 😓 Even f2p players can be hell to go against if they spend more hours on the game than you do.

If you do, congrats, hats off to you. But there came a point in my Ragnarok gaming life that the cons were outweighing the pros. WOE felt like a job. Grinding felt like a job. Dailies and weeklies felt like a job. Everything about the game felt like a job.

If you still enjoy the game up to this day or thinking about starting your mobile Ragnarok journey then go ahead. I'm not stopping you. I'm just here saying why I stopped. Enjoy the game, enjoy it with friends, enjoy the game just because you want to.

I've had my fill and it's been fun but at the base of it all, I can only allot so much time for everything I have to do in order to actually live and Ragnarok, while it had been fun, was not doing it for me.

So props to everyone still sticking with the game until now and may the odds be forever, in your favor.

StHeals, signing out. 😖



PS. I'm sure I'm leaving out a heck load of details in this post and I'm sure people will hate me for being unnecessarily negative about the game but I've been wanting to, at the very least, explain my extended leave of absence (lol) in case some of you guys have been wondering where has this blogger/feeling-guide been off to and why hasn't he been posting any more guides. 😣

Share:
spacer

8 comments:

  1. I think that you're right. If the game isn't fun for you anymore then there's no point in spending time with it. I just want you to know that your guides helped me a lot and inspired me to transform my whitesmith on a priest main.
    I hope that you're having fun and making awesome guides on your next game.
    Thanks ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thank you for the kind words. Still looking for the next game and time actually to play it. xD Adulting is hard af.

      Delete
  2. I'm on EU Server, and I might say, that you're right.

    Gravity did good, but the company that's behind it now (that seems gravity) is a ****** chinese company which really makes the game so bad.

    Still I'm enjoying my playthrough because it made me remember the good old days.

    So... I hope someday there's somebody who can make an authentic RO Mobile.

    Let me join to the adulting life, is so messed up hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Nostalgia definitely played a big part in why I stuck around despite the red signs of the game, gacha being one. But it came to a point where it was either earn a living or be stuck playing... adulting hits hard sometimes.

      Thank you for dropping by though! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm a ( sorta lol ) f2p on SEA server, and... Gosh, you're so right.

    The bugs are getting nearly insufferable, imagine getting kicked out after a few seconds in game until the game let's you in, only for you to lag inside :'D.

    * i'm using gen 6 128 GB iPad with barely anything installed + stable connection

    Also this month Feast Generator got replaced by Astraia, where you have to spend 13 x ( 48 + 96 + 248 ) BCC if you want to get all the items and NO free tickets or something like that :D

    And the poor translation since EP 5.0 , you have to interpret what the Event NPCs are trying to say because it's so bad.

    The only reason i stayed is because 'too much' free time ( read : addiction ) + unwillingness to let go of my 70$ USD in-game.

    Hopefully there's someone who can remake ROM properly, not a crappy cash grab like the current one.

    Best of luck to you & your job, haven't started job ( or even college ) but i can see that's it's even worse than school life :') .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. The money I spent in-game kept me going for awhile too. Then there's the matter of the time you spent or the progress you made that you didn't want to waste...

      But as long as you're still enjoying yourself, I say go for it! :)

      Thank you for dropping by and leaving a note! Much appreciated. <3

      Delete
  4. I am from the PH. And your rom guides are my "go to" whenever i need to do collectibles quest. I love it. Very detailed. Most specially the GH quest that took me 3 months to finish because. Life is more important than game. Lol.
    I took a 1 month break from playing rom because i have a full time to attend.. and a real world to deal with. Just when i get back this month. And felt like finishing the gingerbread collectibles. I came across this post and yeah!!! I feel the rant!! On woe, on smvp hunt, on dailies, weeklies amd f2p issues etc.

    I now play rom as stress relief. Lol.
    Rather than playing it all day long.
    And trying to keep up with the guildies.

    Anyway.. thank you for sharing all rom related shiz!
    Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for trusting the guides despite their age. I'm surprised they still work to this day. Some things never change, I guess. :)

      I'm glad you still find the game stress relieving. xD Me, on the other hand, found it nerve-racking and stressful at some point just because our guild turned from a happy home to a competitive HQ. I'm not blaming anyone though, don't get me wrong. It's purely myself I'm blaming.

      I wanted to git gud and when I could not keep up, everything just sort of fell away and the game lost its magic. *sigh

      Ah well. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a note. <3 Rock on! \m/

      Delete

Hi! What's up? :)